10 years ago..... On July 3 2004 I watched as my husband and love of my life walked onto a plane not to return for 18 months. He and his group of soldiers were leaving for a tour in Iraq. As I sat and remembered our goodbye there are so many things I was taught and learned through this time period that are treasures. I love the United States of America. I love everything this great country I live in stands for. I am grateful my husband went to help another country have the freedoms we love. He is so worried about the people he grew to love in the Kurdish region of Iraq and the mess of violence that has in the news lately. .Without further adu... I am making a top ten blessings we have received for having had my husband serve....
1. Sibling love: Jacob and Shelby were 3 and 6 when Derrek left. It was an early morning on the 3rd. I remember holding them both and watching the bus pull away and following to an airfield in Salt Lake City. My children never ever fight with each other. They have become the best of friends. They support each other and have a bond that was created over shared sorrow and building each other up during the year and half.
2. Increased love for my husband: I have always loved and cherished my husband. I have always felt that he was a blessing to me. The year and a half living without his cheerful teasing and fun loving attitude was difficult at best. I really did not know all that he did for our family. I took him for granted. I missed his Priesthood in our home, I missed him reading every night to the children and most of all I just missed his presence. Still my heart stands still when he walks into our home each night. It is such a blessing just to have him in our home. Besides he is a great house cleaner and helpful all around good guy.
3. Increased love and adoration of my country: I love history. I love a good story with hero's and heroines. Our country is full of people who loved their country and served away from home for our safety and the safety of others. I am grateful for the countries that sent their hard earned money and men to help the United States gain their freedom from England during the Revolutionary War. I am forever grateful to the men and women who followed the Spirit and helped form the Constitution and gave our fledgling country some legs to stand on. I love America.....
4. Power of Prayer-- I watched each member of our little family of 4 pray for each other every moment of the day. My sweet son who was so little when Derrek left gained a strong testimony that his prayers make a difference. He bore testimony at 5 that his prayers were the reason his Daddy was coming home safe. I know without a doubt that he was right. I have watching Jacob use the power of prayer and our family has been eternally blessed because of his prayers. I was able to feel the power and strength coming from hundreds of people who pray for the military members and familys. I cannot tell you how many times I had people of all religions and creeds tell me they were praying for my Derrek and my family. When Derrek got home I felt a withdrawal of the strength that was coming from these prayers.
5. Kindness of Others-- I cannot list all the wonderful acts of Service that were provided on our behalf but a few that stand out.... Things left on the porch in the afternoons that we would get as I got home from work or school. A principal at Shelby's school who ate breakfast with her every single morning .... An uncle Mark who filled in as "Daddy" and babysitter to my children who forever have an enduring love towards him. Young women who babysat once a month so I could go to the temple and other things...Home teachers, visiting teachers... Christmas angels who donated.....
I will finish later....... My family needs me to be the mom.....
Friday, July 4, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment